Have you ever sat down and really thought about haters? No, me neither, but humor me for a moment.
Realizing that you have a hater is like that moment when you realize you have a piece of gum stuck on the bottom of your shoe. You know you’ll have to deal with a slight sticky feeling every time your shoe hits the ground until you either a) scrape the gum off your shoe, or b) allow the gum to dissolve on its own over time.
Don’t get it twisted. This isn’t a subliminal post aimed at some hater in my life. I honestly wouldn’t know if I had one because I spend my time thinking about more productive things like how to turn cookie butter back into cookies.
However, I noticed that a lot of rappers rap about haters. I guess the wine of success tastes better when you see all of the sour grapes left behind in the vineyard.
That being said, I went through some of the most popular rap songs discussing the complex relationship between haters and the people they hate on to find words of wisdom to help you deal with any haters you may have in your life. Thank me later.
1. Haters have existed from the beginning of time (Judas, anyone?): “From the beginning to the end, losers lose, winners win. This is real. We ain’t got to pretend. The cold world that we in, is full of pressure and pain.” – 50 Cent, “Hate it or Love It”
2. But, let your haters know that you’ve worked for everything you have: “Au contraire [ninja]. I am here cause I earned this shit. By riding out when [ninjas] had learners permit.” – Jay-Z, “Some People Hate”
3. Haters hate themselves more than they actually hate you: [Ninjas] fear what they don’t understand, hate what they can’t conquer. Guess it’s just the theory of man. Became a monster, on top of the world, never fallin’. I’m as real as they come from day one, forever ballin’. – Nas, “Hate Me Now”
4. It’s okay to acknowledge your haters: Hustle hard, stack paper, it’s alright, y’all hate us. It’s nothin’, we major, you see me, hi hater! – Maino, “Hi Hater”
5. It’s also okay to offer some words of advice to your haters (if so inclined): Hey. What the heck, breathe homie, me I’m doin what I always do, grindin. If you wasn’t steady hatin you’d be balin too. – Rich Boy, featured in B.o.b.’s “Haterz Everywhere”
6. Understand that real winners help others: [Witches] is like crabs in a bucket. You see a bad [witch] gettin’ shine, you should love it. Cause every time a door opens for me that means you just got a better opportunity to do you.” – Nicki Minaj, “Still I Rise”
7. Haters are just a part of the circle of life: There’ll always be haters, that’s the way it is. Hater [ninjas] marry hater [witches] and have hater kids. – Kanye West, “Bring Me Down”
8. Be careful who you let into your life because haters can come disguised as “friends”: Fake friends write the wrong answers on the mirror for me. That’s why I pick and choose. I don’t get shit confused. I got a small circle. I’m not with different crews. – Lil Wayne, “Right above It”
9. Sure, you can hear what your haters are talking about, but you don’t have to listen. Do you boo: Send the haters all my love – X and O. I got a black box where suggestions go. But, I don’t really give a [funk], it’s probably best you know. My reality is brighter than your dreams are. I gotcha dream girl ridin in ya dream car. – Drake, “Congratulations”
10. Let your haters work for you: I told you I was gonna make it big, gonna grow. This is dedicated to all of the haters that didn’t know. But they know who it was. Haters created my buzz. Talking about me made people wonder who she was.” – Eve, “Be Me”
How do you deal with the haters in your life?